This weekend M & L absolutely dominated the getting-stuff-done arena. For starters, the living room is beginning to come together. But more importantly, we made a teensy change in the bathroom that has really pulled the whole room together:
Our homemade his and hers artwork was done late Sunday afternoon. We spent the rest of the weekend completing a ton of projects around the house, all of which we will show to you throughout the week. To name a few, the kitchen has been partially organized, we installed an under-the-counter trash/recycling system, the half bath has a new toilet seat to replace the puffy/padded one, and the dining room light underwent some beautification. Like I said, lots got accomplished. But the one I’m most excited about is our new homemade art.
It all started back in Mike’s old apartment. The kitchen was so blah that I framed 3 teal scrapbook pages as a back splash. I totally meant to stick them on the beige wall, but never got around to it. Instead, I just propped them up against the wall. And voila, a quick pop of color. They were super low maintenance since they never fell over, were easily wiped down if any drips or splashes got on them, and they were incredibly easy to remove if I ended up needing extra counter space. I definitely recommend them for anyone nervous about doing anything to their rental’s kitchen. You can see two of the three leaning against the wall in this old picture from this post. I wish there was a bigger picture of the whole kitchen, but you get the idea.
As you can see, one of the three teal sheets has a vintage-looking chicken theme on it, similar to those on my favorite bowls, just barely visible in the background here (you can read more about the succulent plants on this post):
Here are the weird chickens side-by-side:
Anyway, we carried these three frames pieces of scrapbook paper with us to the new house, but the teal didn’t really work with our crazy red backsplash. Somehow they ended up in the bathroom, and sat around testing out counter space. After I decided I didn’t fully appreciate them in this space, I just sort of tucked them away behind my makeup trunk.
But on Sunday I was feeling positively inspired. So I grabbed the two frames holding the plain teal paper (ignoring the one with the crazy chickens), some tape adhesive, gray paint strips, and a heart punch. Since I had all of the materials on hand from previous projects, this craft session cost us $0. I used the heart punch (purchased at Michael’s for around $10) to make a bunch of little hearts. Mike grabbed some and immediately glued down a pile of hearts. It took him all of two minutes. Maybe he’s a creative genius, or maybe he just wanted to be done with craft time, since it’s not really his jam. But either way, I think his looks absolutely adorable!
Mine took a lot longer to do, only because I had no idea what I was going for. I first tried a horizontal line of hearts, but I didn’t like it. Then I tried some kind of gradient wavy thing. Wasn’t really working. What I needed was a different punch besides heart. But I didn’t have one. So I decided to cut the hearts in half and just sort of stumbled into this gradient design.
Pinning down the exact order of the broken hearts and gluing them down took all of 3 minutes. The reason I went with crafter’s tape was because it requires no dry time, so the pile of hearts and the lines of broken hearts were re-framed and ready to go within minutes. I used 3M medium-sized velcro strips on all three frames. The strips are perfect because they cause absolutely no damage to the wall or the frames, and when you move apartments/houses, the velcro side stuck to the frame can be re-used. I also buy the medium strips so that I can cut them in quarters, which saves a ton of money.
This was a super simple project that only took about 15 minutes total, but makes the bathroom look much more complete!