My earring situation went from unruly earlier today to totally ruly tonight.
Earlier today you heard about my failure of an earring wrangling system. Well, tonight I remedied that with a cardboard box, cork board, hot glue, and tape.
Basically, I started with a huge piece of metal sheeting.
So tonight I was faced with the choice of either using the tiny piece of metal I had left over from earlier today, OR using the other part of the sheeting, which was much bigger. I went with the latter. This meant that I couldn’t use the same frame. But I unfortunately didn’t have one on hand that would work… so I made one out of a cardboard box left over from a recent dress order.
I started by cutting the outside flaps off, and then I folded them in half to cut evenly along that line. I continued this process until I had 6 evenly sized pieces. 1 each for the top and the bottom of the frame, and 2 for each of the sides. In order to make sure these were secured properly to the metal, I used a hot glue gun as well as packing tape.
Here is my manly version of Vanna White modeling the new handmade frame against the rejected one (you can really notice the size difference in pieces):
Hot glue dries almost immediately, so I set to work cutting out pieces of cork. I used fairly thin rolled cork that I have had forever. I used it most recently on a map project for Mike. It’s super easy to cut, but can also rip if you’re not carefeul… you just have to be sure to go slow and be steady. I cut 4 evenly sized pieces that were so long they overlapped on the edges. I wanted this overlap so that the frame would look bigger than it actually is, but also so that there was some room for error in case an edge ripped or needed to be evened out. When all of the pieces were cut and laid out, I carefully attached them with hot glue. Then I had Mike hold it up to make sure all of the sides were even and neat.
It looked great, so I attached 3M strips on the back. As always, I cut bigger 3M strips in half to save money, but then I worried that the frame wasn’t thick enough to lay flat on the wall. So I made sure there were 4 pieces to hold it on the wall (two 3M strips cut in half).